Current:Home > FinanceUAW and Ford reach a tentative deal in a major breakthrough in the auto strike -NextFrontier Finance
UAW and Ford reach a tentative deal in a major breakthrough in the auto strike
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 00:23:40
The United Auto Workers union and Ford have reached a tentative deal on a new contract on Wednesday, nearly six weeks after the union embarked on an unprecedented strike against all of the Big Three automakers.
The agreement with Ford still needs to be reviewed by the UAW leadership at Ford, and then it would need to be ratified by a majority of union members at the automaker.
But UAW President Shawn Fain called it a "historic agreement" in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.
In a statement, Fain also said the union had won major concessions.
"We won things nobody thought possible," said Fain in a statement. "Since the strike began, Ford put 50% more on the table than when we walked out. This agreement sets us on a new path to make things right at Ford, at the Big Three, and across the auto industry."
According to the UAW, the deal includes wage increases of 25% over four-and-a-half years and the return of a cost of living adjustment.
Included as well in the tentative deal is a three-year progression for full-time employees to the top wage, improvement to retirement benefits, and the right to strike over plant closures, which would mark a first for the union.
Pressure is now on for GM and Stellantis
The deal is likely to ramp up pressure on GM and Stellantis to also reach tentative deals after the UAW this week expanded its strike at the largest plants of each of the automakers, where many of their bestselling trucks and SUVs are built.
The UAW justified the expansion by saying they were not making enough progress in contract talks with the two automakers.
The deal with Ford is not yet a done deal, however.
Workers at Ford could choose to send their negotiators back to the table to push for more.
UAW-represented workers at Mack Trucks did that earlier this month after negotiators had reached a tentative deal. And in 2021, union workers at John Deere rejected two tentative agreements before finally approving a more lucrative contract.
For now, rougly 16,600 employees at Ford's Kentucky Truck Plant, Chicago Assembly Plant and Michigan Assembly will return to work.
In addition, more than 3,000 workers laid off by Ford in what the company called a ripple effect of the strike are also expected to be back on the job.
That leaves about 28,000 autoworkers at General Motors and Stellantis, who the UAW says will remain on strike.
"We are working constructively with the UAW to reach a tentative agreement as soon as possible," GM said in a statement after the deal was announced.
President Biden, who paid a visit to striking autoworkers in Michigan last month, applauded the deal.
"It's showing how collective bargaining works by providing workers a seat at the table and the opportunity to improve their lives while contributing fully to their employer's success," Biden said in a statement.
veryGood! (9589)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Nightengale's Notebook: Cody Bellinger's revival with Cubs has ex-MVP primed for big payday
- Kremlin says claims it ordered Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin's death an absolute lie
- Heineken sells its Russia operations for 1 euro
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- 3 killed in racially motivated Fla. shooting, gunman kills himself, sheriff says
- Riders in various states of undress cruise Philadelphia streets in 14th naked bike ride
- Some experts see AI as a tool against climate change. Others say its own carbon footprint could be a problem.
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Biden is ‘old,’ Trump is ‘corrupt': AP-NORC poll has ominous signs for both in possible 2024 rematch
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Tropical Storm Idalia: Cars may stop working mid-evacuation due to fuel contamination
- Powell says Fed could raise interest rates further if economy, job market don't cool
- AI is biased. The White House is working with hackers to try to fix that
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- The 4 biggest moments from this week's BRICS summit — and why they matter
- UK flights are being delayed and canceled as a ‘technical issue’ hits air traffic control
- American Airlines fined $4.1 million for dozens of long tarmac delays that trapped passengers
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Houston Texans announce rookie C.J. Stroud will be starting QB
New Maui brush fire forces brief evacuation of Lahaina neighborhood
Jacksonville, Florida, shooter who killed 3 people identified
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
‘He knew we had it in us’: Bernice King talks father Martin Luther King Jr.’s enduring ‘dream’
Inter Miami vs. New York Red Bulls recap: Messi scores electric goal in 2-0 victory
Multiple people killed in Jacksonville store shooting, mayor says; 2nd official says shooter is dead